Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Roller Coasters at R.C.



I became a celebrity on Monday. The news might not have reached home yet but it will come shortly I am sure. For my science lesson on Monday I taught a lesson on friction and energy. Using insulation tubing, masking tape, and marbles, we created roller coasters. The first part of my lesson consisted of a whole group discussion of the vocabulary terms potential energy, kinetic energy, acceleration, and friction. We went over what each word meant and I asked for volunteers to raise their hands and give examples. Friction was the most familiar and popular across the group. I then explained that the students needed to have three criteria in their coaster. They must have a hill, loop, and a turn. I modeled each criteria. I then divided the students into groups and handed out the materials. The students jumped at the opportunity for a hands on lesson outside of the classroom. We had science under the thatched gazebo in the courtyard of the school grounds.
I had anticipated chaos and enjoyment on the students part but not to the extent to which it occurred. To say the students loved this activity would be putting it lightly. The hour long lesson flew by and the students were eager to show me their progress and success. The majority of the students were able to accomplish the task with little help and prompting on my part. Some groups even extended the requirements further and tried to add 2 loops and 2 turns to their coaster. I taught this lesson to the whole Standard I group along with Kathleen who is in another Standard I class. I think this was both of our first times teaching a lesson to 120 students. We survived and passed with flying colors according to Dr. Kubasko and Dr. Catapano.
I came into school Tuesday morning and handed the Science lessons I planned for the grade to the other teachers. When I walked into the other classrooms the students attacked me with hugs and all I could hear was "miss," "teacher teacher." All the students wanted to know if we were doing roller coasters again and I broke their hearts when I responded no. Little to they know their large smiles and extreme enjoyment from Monday's lesson has my brain turning and planning more interactive science lessons for next week! Stay tuned for fun with dominoes and the transfer of energy which will come their way next week! Until then we are exploring differentiated language arts lessons and small reading groups along with decimals and transportation in Spanish! So much to do and expose them to and so little time!